Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Summer Time Randomness

This was published on July 15, 2008

This is going to be one of those random posts with lots of different thoughts because my mind has been all over the place lately. It is hard to believe it is the middle of July already. Where has the summer gone? This has been one pretty amazing summer so far. I've gotten to enjoy the mountains a good bit, spent time with friends, been working my butt off at two jobs I love, and just enjoying myself tremendously here in Colorado. So anyways here are a few of my summer highlights so far with some random thoughts mixed in.
1) Franciscan LEAD went incredibly well. It was an incredible experience and I could not have asked for a better team to work with. The Conference was also one of the best I have ever been to. Saturday night of the conference they actually did the whole hour of adoration in silence, which was incredible. It was so awesome to see over 2000 teens praying so intensenly in silence.
2) My prayer life has been awesome since I got done with Totus Tuus Training. I've been making it to mass and finding serveral times throughout the day to quiet myself and listen to God. It has been awesome. I just hope I can keep it up once school starts.
3) I've decided to wait a year on the whole seminary thing. As I stepped back from the situation and really prayed about it, it just didn't feel right to go in the fall. I felt like God was telling me He wasn't done with me in Denver and I really needed to finish my degree for some reason. My spiritual director confirmed my decision and told me to listen to what I was getting in prayer and to not feel pressured by over eager priests. In the grand scheme of things a year is nothing and if God wants me to be a priest I will. He always wins.
4) One of my goals for the summer is to climb a 14er. I attempted it but failed. The directions I printed off took me to the top of the mountain instead of the trailhead. So I drove up a 14er. By the time we figured out where the trailhead actually was it was too late to try and climb it that day. I was pissed. But I WILL climb one before the summer is over.
5) I turned 28 last week. It was a great birthday. I went to the Cheescake Factory for dinner with some friends and had a great time. Then I gave myself a birthday present by taking off to go out of town and go to Wichita for the rest of the week and weekend. As great as it was however, I still don't know how I feel about being 28. It is just kind of this wierd age. It creeps me out that I'm only 2 years away from 30.
6) Its been awesome having Blake, Devin, and Josh out here for the summer. I'm so proud of those guys and the men they are becoming.
7) Is anyone else really nervous about this election? Seriously people wake up and smell the roses. "Hope and Change". WTF does that mean? We have too many ignorant Americans out there. Obama gives great speeches so he must be the right man for the job? Well guess what? Hitler also gave great speeches! Is it just me or does anyone else get a creepy Anti-Christ vibe from the Black Messiah?
8) I love my jobs out here and the weather is awesome, but I freaking miss Wichita and teaching. I really hope a year from now I'll be moving back there and teaching at Carroll (if I don't go to the seminary that is).
9) I'm incredibly excited for what I have left of my summer: Mary's wedding, Totus Tuus end of summer retreat, seeing the Brandt's in a couple weeks here in Colorado, the visit from the boys and the cabin in Estes, Melissa's wedding, and the Jack Johnson concert!
10) Why do cops have to be such assholes? I got a ticket in Wichita, well Park City, for supposedly running a stop sign. The only reason he gave it to me is because I was from Colorado and he knew there was no way in hell I would drive back to Kansas to contest it. Not to mention that jack ass was being this super nice guy and cracking jokes and trying to shoot the shit with me as he gave me the ticket. Freaking prick! If you are going to give me a ticket then act like the asshole you are being!
11) God is amazing. Man I just feel so blessed lately. The Eucharist is such a gift and the more I go to it the more I long for it. I have rediscoverd my love for adoration and mass and I encourage all of you to do the same. Just do it, start going for a little while every day and I promise you, your life will change and you won't want to stop going!
Ok so that's my randomness. I look forward to what is left of summer and am excited for what God has in store next year!

No comments: