Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Back to School

This was published on August 27, 2006

Wow it has been a while since I posted. I know all of you out there are eager for another entry in the life of Jose.
Well we have been back to school for a week and a half. It's crazy but after a summer off I forgot how much it drains you by the end of the week. I was in bed by 10:00 on Friday, I'm becoming such an old man lol. Thus the reason blogging has become more difficult, not to mention I currently don't have internet at home.
I must say in many ways its really good to be back to work and in others I'm feeling like this is going to be a really strange year. The year started off on the first day with 20 or so Knights in my room praying a rosary, that was awesome. Since then we've met every morning for morning prayer or a Rosary before school with a pretty decent turn out. I'm really excited about that. It will be a good way to stay focused and it is giving the guys who play sports in the fall and don't have a chance to be there on Thursday evenings something to do with their brothers during the week.
I have my own room finally. I must say I love it! It is so nice to not have to travel finally.
Father Jarrod has given some pretty great homilies so far and he is saying mass after schol instead of before school. That has been neat because the turn out has gone from about 5 people last year to over 20 on a daily basis. I feel so blessed to have a priest like that as our chaplain.
Nick Seiler and Josh Rohleder, two of my students from last year asked me to be their confirmation sponsor. That is a huge honor. I love those guys and I just pray that God gives me the grace to take that responsibility seriously. I pray I can be someone that can really help them along in their faith. That brings the total to three because Mikey McClernon asked me to be his sponsor for this year last year. I am very honored for this and it is such a blessing to have students that I have an impact on.
My classes this year however I'm getting a really wierd vibe from. My regular freshmen feel like a time bomb waiting to explode. My honors freshmen I don't feel like I'm connecting with as quickly as I have in years past and I'm wondering if I will click with them. My juniors are great, I love them but they are not last years juniors. I really miss them. I can't believe they are seniors. I'm going to have a really hard time letting them go. Graduation is going to be tough this year. But hey Praise God for having the chance to teach them.
Back to School dance on Friday was great as two senior girl volleyball players were busted for drinking. They are both suspended for two days and from two volleyball games. I just don't understand how they can be so stupid sometimes. They are smart girls and they just don't get it. I get so frustrated with my kids some times but I can't help but love them. I think being a teacher is definetally giving me a very small glimpse into what its like to be a parent. Kids are going to make stupid choices but you still love them in spite of those choices.
Well that was a long one. Hopefully I'll be able to write more again soon. Thank you God for my students and this upcoming year. May I grow in your grace.

No comments: